General Dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the overall oral health and well-being of individuals. It primarily involves preventive and diagnostic dental care, as well as basic treatment procedures to maintain oral health and address common dental issues.
General dentists are primary dental care providers who handle a wide range of dental needs. Here are some key aspects of general dentistry:
1. Routine Dental Examinations:
Our dentists perform regular check-ups to evaluate overall oral health, including teeth, gums, jaw, and surrounding structures. They check for cavities, signs of gum disease, oral cancer, and other dental conditions.
2. Dental Cleanings:
Dentists and dental hygienists clean and remove plaque, tartar, and stains from teeth during routine cleanings. This helps prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues.
3. X-rays and Diagnostic Imaging:
Our Dentists use X-rays and other imaging techniques to identify hidden dental problems such as tooth decay, impacted teeth, jawbone issues, or oral infections.
4. Restorative Treatments: General dentists provide treatments to restore and repair damaged teeth. This includes dental fillings for cavities, dental crowns to strengthen and protect weakened teeth, and root canal therapy to address infected or inflamed tooth pulp.
5. Preventive Care:
Dentists emphasize preventive measures to maintain oral health, such as dental sealants to protect vulnerable teeth, fluoride treatments to strengthen tooth enamel, and oral hygiene education.
6. Gum Disease Treatment: General dentists diagnose and treat gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis. They may perform deep cleaning (scaling and root planing) or refer patients to periodontists for specialized care if necessary.
7. Emergency Dental Care: General dentists handle dental emergencies such as toothaches, knocked-out teeth, or broken teeth. They provide immediate relief and recommend appropriate treatment options.
General dentistry plays a vital role in maintaining oral health, preventing dental problems, and ensuring early detection and treatment of dental issues. Regular visits to a general dentist are essential for promoting good oral hygiene, preventing dental diseases, and preserving overall oral well-being.